Wedding budgeting is customarily something that people do not enjoy doing, as it can be time consuming and possibly stressful. Since a wedding reception is typically an event that involves a significant amount of guests and planning, it also requires time and thought in regards to the actual budget for the event. It can sometimes be hard to slow down and think reasonably about budget when all of the special touches like food and beverage, decorations, room setup, table linens, centerpieces….the list goes on and on, are much more appealing to discuss. However, it is in your best interest to discuss your budget before you make a decision on a wedding reception venue. As you collect information, it is definitely worthwhile to compile everything in an organized manner. Make a list of all of the questions you want to ask the reception venues before you go out for site tours. This will be helpful not only in time efficiency once you are at the venue, but also beneficial because you will be asking each venue the same list of questions….therefore assisting you to compare “apples to apples”. Here are some of the questions that are beneficial to ask the wedding reception venues, in regards to costs:
1) Is there a room rental cost?
2) Is there a service charge added to the room rental cost?
3) Is there a food and beverage minimum requirement?
4) What is the service charge and sales tax rate on food and beverage?
5) Is there a cake cutting fee?
6) Is there a cost for the setup / teardown of the room?
7) What items come with the room rental (if any)?
8) Are there any other costs that I need to be made aware of?
Again, these are just some of the basic questions that you will want to ask in order to ensure you understand what costs you will definitely incur with each venue. Obviously, other factors (like number of guests you invite and menu chosen) will affect your budget. These are factors that you control yourself, so discussing the total budget for the event is of utmost importance! If you do not have a clue as to where to start, give me a call and I would be happy to schedule a time to meet with you to help you put together an outline for your budget. This will ensure you are off on the right track with your wedding reception plans!
– Jill Hericks | Sales Manager | 605-367-4156 | Sioux Falls Convention Center