Showcase Your Wedding Style
Wedding receptions are a chance to showcase you, and your style as a couple! Sometimes couples tend to get a tad bit stressed, because they try to “please everyone”. If I might offer a bit of advice…..don’t waste your time and energy worrying about pleasing everyone, because the likelihood of that happening is pretty much slim to none. That is, if you are like most people who have family and friends who are not shy about voicing their opinion / concerns about everything from the date you choose, to the venue you select, décor you incorporate, the food and beverage you serve….the list goes on, and on! Granted, your family / friends have good intentions (most of the time) however, with an event of such great importance there are going to be countless decisions and weddings are events that warrant strong emotions. Therefore, if you let all of the little things that come up get to you; it could result in a mess. The last thing you want to do is look back on the planning process, and your actual wedding / wedding reception for that matter…..and think about how you didn’t enjoy it. After all, the wedding reception will in all probability be the area of your greatest expense. According to Wikipedia, approximately twenty eight percent of the wedding budget is spent on the reception. So, the venue you choose for your wedding reception is obviously of substantial importance from the financial aspect (investment) as well as the fact that it is the part of the wedding that most couples and guests will remember. When you are searching for the right venue, be sure to keep these aspects in mind. Here are a couple of my recommendations to set you up for success in scouting / selecting the right wedding reception venue:
1. Make a list– it sounds simple, and it is….but….I can’t count on both hands how many times I receive phone calls from people who are confused as to which facility I am with and who I am, even though they called me. Sounds crazy, but it is the truth. Make a list of all of the venues you are interested in, and include basic information on them. For example: address / telephone number / contact at the facility. When you start calling the venues to schedule tours, you can list all of the details under the venue name to ensure you don’t end up confused as you will have multiple appointments. After you have toured the facility be sure to include notes on the things that you liked / things you maybe didn’t like etc. This will help you later on when you go back and are comparing venues.
2. Have a pre-determined list of questions to ask each venue –sometimes couples get distracted / excited while touring a venue, and then loose train of thought and forget to ask something that is important to them.
3. Block out enough time – obviously most people have busy schedules, but when you setup a time to tour a venue be sure to ask how long the tour will take. You don’t want to have another appointment booked too close, so you have to rush out the door and then show up late for your next appointment.
4. Put together a basic budget for the reception, prior to visiting the venues – it is easy to come up with extravagant ideas for the wedding reception; however you don’t want to be putting forth your energy / time into something that is not realistic for your budget.
If you would like a tour of Sioux Falls Convention Center, please let me know! We have versatile space that can accommodate wedding receptions of all sizes, and I would be happy to assist you in putting together a wedding reception that showcases YOU and your personal style!
– Jill Hericks | Sales Manager | 605-367-4156 | Sioux Falls Convention Center
(Sioux Falls Convention Center and Sioux Empire Wedding Showcase will Feature a Bridal Show on October 21st, 2012.)